Mission WV has one goal in mind: change lives.
They are responsible for changing the lives of youth and families all across the state. Mission WV helps promote positive futures by recruiting foster families, providing life skills, educations and creating community connections.
One people, one state, working together to provide every child with a loving family and the knowledge to make positive choices for a healthier future.
Mission WV was founded in 1997 by Rev. Dr. F. Emerson Wood under the support of Gov. Underwood and 21 board members. Board members were from various parts of the state and were made up of religious leaders, business leaders, community organizers, leaders of higher education and various other professionals. Early program successes included a statewide recruitment of adoptive and foster parents, a program called Faith and Families that linked local congregations with families receiving public assistance, and the beginning of the organization’s technology initiative.
Mission WV has always had a heart for the youth of our state and their primary goal is to create an opportunity for each and every one of them to thrive. They do all of their work strategically, transparently and with a focus on results. Today, they have two main programs – FrameWorks and THINK (Teaching Health Instead of Nagging Kids).
The Frameworks program helps families navigate every step of the foster care certification process:
- They answer questions and support families who are exploring foster care, adoption, or providingrelative/kinship care.
- They help families who are approved to adopt connect directly to children who are in need of a forever home.
- They bridge the gap between youth in foster care and the school system, helping to ensure children in foster care can thrive educationally.
The THINK program helps provide the tools, resources and education for youth to make healthy life choices by:
- Partnering with schools to provide healthy relationship and sex education.
- Holding parent workshops and trainings.
- Training educators and other youth-service workers on childhood trauma, healthy relationships and sexual health.
- Partner with stakeholders throughout the community to address the most pressing needs in our area.
If you are interested in learning more about Mission WV or any of their programs, you can check out their website at www.missionwv.org or call 866-CALL-MWV.
Mission West Virginia, Inc.
168 Midland Trail, Suite 1
Hurricane, WV 25526